Recently, I got the result of 5 for my two AP exams that I took in May 2020, which are Microeconomics and Macroeconomics. I study these subjects in nearly one school year, from September 2019 to May 2020. The results was good, so I think I should write something about my study methods to share with you guys, hopefully it would be helpful.
Firstly, I have to disclaim that in order to get high result in AP tests, actually you do not really need to spend as much time as me, you can simply join an extra class for 4 months to get >4 score. But if you want to memorise the knowledge in long-term and immerse yourself deeply in depression, then study for 8 months like me.
Just kidding, it is not depressed, but in fact really fun and after studying Economics, you can explain many problems, not only economic prob, but also dilemma you encounter in your daily life, for example: opportunity cost when you play video games the night before your test is a lower score in your exam, I suggest.
Alright, so let’s basically divide my studying process into 2 main parts: (I write my 5 TIPS at the end of this blog so please read till the end)
PART 1: STUDY FOR UNDERSTANDING (From Sep to March)
At the beginning of September 2019, I joined an online course called AP Economics in VHS Learning platform, my school sponsored the tuition fee for me and my friends there. Let me review the course so you may have an overview before deciding whether to join or not:
We have a thick online textbook called Krugman’s Economics for AP®, and each week, we are required to read 2-3 units of it and do our homework (about 7 tasks per week) then send to the teacher. Some homework types were:
- Watching a Crashcourse/Jacob Clifford youtube videos and fill a summary knowledge board.
- Writing blog about some related economic problem in your hometown.
- Doing the consolidation exercises after each units in the textbook
- Doing VHS designed exercises.
- Doing mock test…
I find those homework was alright, but gradually, I got bored with VHS since I do not like reading textbook myself and the worst thing is, all of my homework got no feedback from my teacher in VHS, so I do not know whether I am doing right or wrong. That is why in I decided to move to another study platform, and this platform I believe really familiar with some of you guys here, it is Khan Academy.
This platform is free and easily accessible, and the best thing about it is that students can watch teaching videos, do many consolidation exercises and tests, and get results immediately. So if you are interested in learning AP Econ in Khan, here is the link:
PART 2: STUDY FOR EXAM (FROM APRIL TO 20 MAY)
One of the most efficient way to earn a high score in exam is doing a lot of test from previous years to see you are not sure at what knowledge, continue to strengthen it, and learn how to answer the questions correctly to the focus and get points.
You can hire a tutor to help you intensive – study in this last month, or self-study is never a bad choice if you have good self-regulation. Here is the website that I used for doing previous year tests and learning how to answer the questions: (this website is awesome, the blogger classify the questions into topics which help you easily revise the knowledge)
You can also do exercise that College Board provide if you register the AP exam organised by them.
MY 5 TIPS for AP ECON:
- Whatever platform you study at, you should summarise the knowledge into one notebook, highlight important part, and do homework or draw graph in it too. Believe me, it is really useful and you can look back whenever you forget something and have a paranomic view.
- If you want to learn AP economics theories and how to do exercises, follow a course in Khan Academy, watch their videos, do their homework, it is free, very detailed and easy-understanding.
- If you have some exercises you still do not understand, watch Jacob Clifford video.
- If you want to apply economic theoretical knowledge into reality, watch Crash Course video.
- If you want to do previous years test and meanwhile review the knowledge effectively, read the blog Econowaugh 2 months prior your exam.
That is all I want to share with you about how I study for AP exam. Hope you can draw some experience from this blog ❤