In this post, you will find awesome TIPS you can use for getting high IELTS score.
Recently, I got 7.5 in my IELTS test, and although it is not a very high score, I believe the following studying methods gonna be really helpful for you since thanks to doing them, I boosted my score from 6.5 to 7.5 in 3 months.
I have been learning English for 9 years and most of my English knowledge are from youtube videos and books. But to get good score in test, especially IELTS, studying tips play a vital role. Now let’s see some most important studying methods and materials for each part in the IELTS test and hopefully they are helpful for you!
Practice read English frequently: you can read online newspaper, eg: New York Times, The Washington Post, or books. It is best to read texts that are more academic in style.
Increase vocabulary: By using flashcard (Quizlet for example), or vocabulary notebook, and remember to write example sentence.
Practice skimming: It is easier to understand what you are reading if you begin with a general idea of what the passage is about.
- Look at the title and headings, and subheadings
- Read the first sentence of every paragraph
- Read the last sentence of the passage.
- Read any words in bold print or italics
- Let your eyes travel quickly over a passage in order to find something specific that you are looking for.
- Use context around a new word to guess its meaning. Context can be sentences around the word or a paragraph or a passage.
Practice reading fast:
- Read for meaning. Try to understand phrases, sentences or even paragraph, not individual words.
- If you do not know the meaning of a word but you understand the sentence, move on. Do not stop to look up the word in your dictionary.
- Listening to English youtube videos: National Geographic, Ted ed, …
- Listening to Audio/podcast about academic topic (social problems, career choice,…) on Spotify (highly recommended)
- Watching English movies.
- While listening to audio, you should practice dictation.
❤ MATERIALS FOR IELTS READING AND LISTENING:
- Cambridge IELTS (9 – 15)
- Road to IELTS
- IELTS Recent Actual Test
- Practice thinking and speaking English in your daily life conversations.
- Talk with your friends by English, join some English Debating Club and competition.
- Watching Youtube videos and try to mimic the way the native speakers speak.
- Learn pronouciation: Watch The Pronouciation Workshop
- Learn IELTS Speaking often appeared topics/ set of IELTS Speaking prediction: easily find on some IELTS groups on Facebook/IELTS website, eg: https://ieltsliz.com/
- If you want to self – study IELTS writing, you can refer IELTS Simon or Liz IELTS website.
- If you want to see good IELTS part 2 sample, refer IELTS Writing by Mat Clark
- Practicing writing a lot with different IELTS topics.
- Note down their good ideas, vocabulary, phrase, and try to use them in your writing.
❤ Hope these tips are helpful for you! If you have any other suggestions about IELTS studying tips, why don’t you share them in the comment section below? Wish you all a productive day and have awesome IELTS score as you wish!